Moisturizing: Your Unique Face
Know Your Skin
When it comes to moisturizing your face, there are a few considerations. First, do you know your skin type? Do you have skin that is pretty well-behaved, not too dry and not too oily? Then you have normal skin. Is your skin oily all over? That’s obviously oily skin. What if you have skin that is oily in some parts and dry in others? Look closely. Is it oily on your forehead and down your nose? That’s your t-zone. I have more of an hourglass zone, because my chin is also quite oily and very prone to breakouts. Are your cheeks dry? You have combination skin. If your skin tends to be flaky and dry, it is in fact, dry skin. And finally, is your skin prone to irritation, reactive to soaps, sometimes itchy? This is sensitive skin.
There are lotions and creams and makeup and soap for every skin type. Knowing yours will help you to take proper care of your skin, and always feel and look your best.
When we shop for moisturizers, words like “hydrate” and “nourish” jump off product labels. “Intensive care, face repair, oil-free and lightweight” beg, “Pick me! Pick me!” there are so many to choose from it’s hard to know where to start.
If I have oily skin, do I need to moisturize? My cheeks are dry but my chin breaks out, what should I use?
Here are the basics.
Those of you who follow my blogs know that I think the Mayo Clinic is a great source of reliable skincare information. So, what do their experts say about moisturizers?
- No cosmetics are FDA regulated, so buyer beware. Try different products, and don’t rely solely on price to estimate quality. You may find an inexpensive product that meets your needs.
- Keep in mind that our skin changes throughout our lives, and we should periodically re-evaluate our moisturizing needs.
- For maximum benefit, use moisturizers on freshly washed skin.
- Use oil-based moisturizers for dryer skin, water-based for oily and sensitive skin.
- Moisturize your face correctly to protect it, keep it moist and even the tone.
Determine your skin type and treat yourself to a moisturizer. Look for products with natural ingredients for maximum benefit.